Nonprofit Board Speed Dating
Nonprofit Board Speed Dating is a way to connect people in the community who are interested in serving on nonprofit boards with nonprofits seeking qualified board or board committee members. Nonprofit boards provide the opportunity to become more deeply involved with an issue or program that you care about. It also allows you to make an investment in your community and the people who live in it, collaborate with others who share your values and interests, broaden your leadership skills, and expand your personal and professional networks.
How Nonprofit Board Speed Dating works:
- Candidates must register to attend and complete a candidate application.
- Nonprofits must complete a nonprofit application and be a HandsOn NWNC Supporting Partner. If you are unsure as to whether your organization is a Supporting Partner, please check the list under Join/Give Now on our website or call 336-724-2866. Nonprofits do not need to register but must contact HandsOn NWNC to participate in the next speed dating event. The event registration page is for candidates only.
- Prior to the event, candidates will be sent the websites, mission statements, and basic board information/requirements from the participating nonprofits. Similarly, nonprofits will be sent basic information on each candidate, although no personal contact information will be provided at this time. This is done to help candidates and nonprofits familiarize themselves with each other in order to maximize their speed dating rounds.
- Candidates will “date” six to eight nonprofits in 10 minute rounds.
- Candidates will complete a form at the end of the event asking if they would like a follow-up conversation with any of the nonprofits. If so, HandsOn NWNC will send the candidate’s application (which includes their contact information) to the nonprofits they expressed an interest in talking with further.
- Nonprofits will contact interested candidates to schedule a meeting to further discuss board membership.
The event is free and includes appetizers and drinks.
Benefits to Nonprofits include access to enthusiastic, skilled, diverse and trained candidates who want to make a difference in the community; reduced time and resources spent on recruiting board members–resulting in improved organizational efficiency in filling leadership needs; and, exposure to candidates outside of the “usual” recruiting circles.
Benefits to Candidates include the ability to create a positive impact by contributing enthusiasm and expertise to an organization that needs help addressing community needs; opportunity to engage with like-minded individuals toward a common goal; ability to broaden professional and leadership skills while learning about nonprofit governance; and, expansion of personal and professional networks in the community.
If you have questions concerning Nonprofit Board Speed Dating, contact Kathy Davis.
Nonprofits that cannot participate in a Board Speed Dating event are welcome to make an appointment with HandsOn NWNC to look through our bank of potential board candidates. HandsOn NWNC will reach out to any identified candidates to see if they are interested in talking with a representative from the nonprofit to find out more about their board and potential board service.
If you are interested in looking through our Board Bank Candidate applications, please contact Brittney Albert.