Volunteer Engagement Training Program
The Volunteer Engagement Training Program (VETP,) developed by Points of Light and its HandsOn Network affiliates, is a series of six, half-day modules that provides a comprehensive understanding of the components of a volunteer program. Volunteer administrators and anyone who has responsibility for recruiting, coordinating, or managing volunteers will benefit from the interactive curriculum, which is based on the latest research and best practices in the industry. All classes are discussion based and will not be recorded.
Module 1 Establishing the Framework
- Describe volunteerism and its role in civic life today
- Apply a volunteer-centered framework to volunteer engagement
- Identify elements of volunteer engagement
- Explore barriers to and motivators for volunteer engagement
Module 2 Planning for Volunteer Engagement
- Describe the many steps of volunteer engagement
- Learn how to conduct a Volunteer Engagement Assessment
- Consider risk when deciding how to engage volunteers
- Identify resources and support needed to effectively engage volunteers
Module 3 Opportunities and Outreach
- Examine trends in volunteerism and how they might inform opportunities and outreach
- Develop position descriptions with a Volunteer Experience Lens
- Explore targeted recruitment concepts and consider potential audiences
- Develop an Outreach Strategy.
Module 4 Intake and Onboarding
- Define techniques for screening, interviewing and matching volunteers with positions
- Describe the difference between and importance of orienting and training volunteers and staff
- Design effective volunteer orientation
- Assess training needs and design training to equip volunteers and staff
Module 5 Supervision and Support
- Articulate the benefits of supporting and supervising volunteers
- Design and implement strategies for volunteer supervision and support
- Explore causes of and options for addressing volunteer performance problems
- Identify effective ways to reward and recognize volunteers
Module 6 Evaluation
- Build a foundation for evaluating volunteer engagement
- Recognize the difference between Program Evaluation and Stakeholder Evaluation
- Explore Impact Statements, Mutual Feedback and Stakeholder Satisfaction Surveys to improve outcomes for volunteers, staff and the organization as a whole
Credential. Each class qualifies to earn credits towards the Certified Administrator of Volunteers in North Carolina (CAVNC) credential.
Cost. Per Class: $55/person; HandsOn NWNC Supporting Partners and PRAVA members pay $45/person.
All classes: $275/person; HandsOnNWNC Supporting Partners and PRAVA members pay $225/person. If you are unsure as to whether your organization is a Supporting Partner, please check Join/Give Now on our website or call 336-724-2866. If payment is a barrier to this training, please contact us. This particularly applies to small, grassroots organizations and those led by people of color. While the program cannot be offered for free, we will work with your budget.
“Gives you different perspectives on creating/making an effective volunteer program.”
“Provides great general knowledge on creating and maintaining an effective volunteer management program.”
For the next class dates, check Upcoming Events.
For more information, contact the Program Director.